MIT Rocket Team Materials Acquisition
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Procedure for Obtaining Ethanol (200 proof):
- Print out a copy of the Authorization form linked here: File:MIT Rocket Team Approval form needles alcohol.doc
- Have this document signed by a person with the title Professor, Lab Director, Department Head, M.D., or Pharmacist (as specified on the form), as well as by yourself.
- Obtain a Requisition form from Anne Maynard, in the department office in 33-214 (she's the one authorized to sign for the RT account).
- Sign the requisition yourself, immediately above Anne's signature, identifying yourself as one authorized to purchase Ethanol with the RT account.
- Take the Authorizaiton form over to Kristen Shikes on the 4th floor of NE49 (in Tech. Square), and have her fax it over to the VWR Solvent Stockroom.
- Go to the Solvent Stockroom (1:30 to 3, weekdays) in E25-169, and give the person at the window the requisition form (and possibly the original of the Authorization form, if they want it).
- Deposit the ethanol containers in either the flammables cabinet in 41-116, or in the blast chamber, 37-084.
Information about Obtaining Gases:
- Visit Anne Maynard in 33-214. Order using SAPWeb -> AirGas? -> Industrial Gases category.
- LN2 and LOX: 230L, 230PSI dewars (pressure listed is that of the relief valve)
- Liquid CO2: 160L, 350PSI dewar
- He: 300 cu. ft. tank
- Admiral Metals, Woburn MA. They have a scrap / surplus pile.
- MIT Central Machine Shop (particularly for small pieces, like small pieces of stainless steel)