Human space exploration library
- Human Space Exploration: The Next 50 Years [AAS, 2007] Edited draft of a speech by NASA Administrator Mike Griffin
Human Space Exploration Architecture Studies
Human Space Exploration Policy and Program Strategy
NASA FY2011 Budget Request
- NASA FY2011 budget request website [NASA, February 2010]
- NASA FY2011 Budget Request Overview (PDF) [NASA, February 2010]
- FY2011 Exploration Systems budget request (PDF) [NASA, February 2010]
- FY2011 Space Operations budget request (PDF) [NASA, February 2010]
- Space Technology budget request (PDF) [NASA, February 2010]
Review of US Human Spaceflight Plans Committee (Augustine Committee) 
- Website of the Augustine Committee [NASA, 2009]
- Final Report of the Augustine Committee (PDF) [NASA, 2009]
Global Exploration Strategy (GES) Framework
- GES Framework Document (PDF) [May 31, 2007] Non-binding strategy document of 14 space agencies, including NASA, ESA, CSA, JAXA, Roscosmos, DLR, CNES, and others; the framework represents the result of discussions between the space agencies which have been ongoing since 2006.
ESA Exploration Strategy
- NASA / ESA comparative architecture assessment (PDF) [July 2008] Features different scenarios of ESA contributions to NASA's implementation of the Vision for Space Exploration; based on the Global Exploration Strategy framework.
US Vision for Space Exploration (VSE) 
US Space Exploration Initiative (SEI) 
-  [July 20, 1989]
- America at the Threshold (Stafford Report) [May 1991] Report of the Synthesis Group on America's Space Exploration Initiative
US Pre-SEI Studies [1980s]
Human Lunar Exploration Architecture Studies
A list of references for human lunar exploration architecture studies is provided here.
Human Mars Exploration Architecture Studies
A list of human Mars exploration architecture studies is provided here.
Human Near-Earth-Object (NEO) Exploration Architecture Studies
Near-Earth Object, i.e. comets and asteriods that have heliocentric orbits very close to that of the Earth (in some cases crossing that of the Earth), represent interesting targets for human exploration for a number of reasons, among others: they are scientifically interesting and offer an opportunity for sample return, and a mission to a NEO has value as preparation for human Mars missions. Related to NASA's Project Constellation a number of studies have been carried out to assess opportunities for carrying out human missions to NEOs using Constellation hardware.
- A Piloted Orion Flight to a Near Earth Object: a Feasibility Study (PDF) [Landis et al., 2007]
- Poster: Scientific Exploration of Near-Earth Objects via the Crew Exploration Vehicle (PDF) [Abell et al., 2007]
Human Venus Exploration Architecture Studies
A list of references for human Venus exploration architecture studies is provided here.
Ongoing Human Spaceflight Programs
NASA Multi-Program Integrated Milestones (MPIM)
- NASA MPIM-rev-FY2009-Q2 (PDF) [NASA, FY 2009 Q2]
- NASA MPIM-rev-FY2008-Q3 (PDF) [NASA, FYQ3 2008]
- NASA MPIM-rev-2007-07-10-01 [NASA, July 2007]
- NASA MPIM-rev-2007-04 [NASA, March 2007]
- Space Shuttle Strategic Planning Status [NASA, 2007]
- Human Space Flight Transition Plan [NASA, 2006]
NASA New Exploration Enterprise (since February 2010)
Based on the President's FY 2011 budget request for NASA and the cancellation of the Constellation program contained therein, a new exploration enterprise has been created at NASA's Exploration Systems Mission Directorate. The main program elements of the new exploration enterprise are (1) a Heavy Lift & Propulsion Technology (HL&PT) program, (2) a Flagship Technology Demonstrations (FTD) program, (3) a Explorations Precursor Robotic Missions (xPRM) program, a (4) Exploration Technology Development & Demonstration (ETDD) program, a (5) Commercial Crew (CC) program, and a (6) Participatory Exploration (PE) program.
- NASA 2011 budget website [NASA, February 2010]
- NASA FY 2011 Budget Overview (PDF) [NASA, February 2011]
- NASA Exploration Enterprise Workshop Proceedings [Galveston, May 2010]
- Overview of the New Exploration Enterprise (PDF) [Douge Cooke, May 2010]
Exploration Technology Development & Demonstration (ETDD) Program
- Overview of the Exploration Technology Development & Demonstration (ETDD) Program (PDF) [Chris Moore, May 2010]
- Exploration Technology Development & Demonstration (ETDD) RFI [NASA, May 2010]
Heavy Lift & Propulsion Technology (HL&PT) Program
- Overview of the Heavy Lift & Propulsion Technology (HL&PT) Program (PDF) [Cris Guidi, May 2010]
- Heavy Lift & Propulsion Technology (HL&PT) RFI [NASA, May 2010]
Flagship Technology Demonstrations (FTD) Program
- Overview of the Flagship Technology Demonstrations (FTD) Program (PDF) [Mike Conely, May 2010]
- Flagship Technology Demonstrations (FTD) RFI [NASA, May 2010]
- Introduction to the Mission and Technologies (PDF) [Michael G. Conley, May 2010]
- Automated/Autonomous Rendezvous & Docking Vehicle (ARDV) Overview (PDF) [Craig Tooley, Tim Crain, Jack Brazzel, May 2010]
- Solar Electric Propulsion Stage (PDF) [Michael Patterson, May 2010]
- CRYOGENIC Propellant STorage And Transfer (CRYOSTAT) Mission (PDF) [Stephan Davis, May 2010]
- Inflatable Module Mission (PDF) [Tony Sang, Gary Spexarth, May 2010]
- Environment Control and Life Support (ECLS) (PDF) [Derek Neumeyer, May 2010]
- Aerocapture, Entry, Descent & Landing (PDF) [Michelle Munk, May 2010]
Explorations Precursor Robotic Missions (xPRM) Program
- Overview of the Explorations Precursor Robotic Missions (xPRM) Program (PDF) [Jay Jenkins, May 2010]
- Explorations Precursor Robotic Missions (xPRM) RFI [NASA, May 2010]
Commercial Crew (CC) Program
- Overview of the Commercial Crew (CC) Program (PDF) [Phil McAlister, May 2010]
- Commercial Crew (CC) RFI [NASA, May 2010]
Participatory Exploration (PE) Program
- Overview of the Participatory Exploration (PE) Program (PDF) [Kathy Nado, May 2010]
NASA Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) and Commercial Crew Development (CCDev) Programs
- NASA Commercial Crew and Cargo website [NASA, 2010]
- NASA CCDev Program website [NASA, 2010]
SpaceX COTS and CCDev Projects
- SpaceX Dragon overview [SpaceX 2007]
- SpaceX Falcon 9 overview [SpaceX 2007]
- SpaceX brochure (PDF) [SpaceX 2009] Overview of all SpaceX products and services
- DragonLab datasheet (PDF) [SpaceX 2009] Overview of Dragon spacecraft capabilities
- Falcon 9 user's guide (PDF) [SpaceX 2009] Overview of Falcon 9 launch vehicle operations and capabilities
- SpaceX COTS 1 Demo mission press kit [SpaceX, 2010]
Orbital Sciences Corporation COTS and CCDev Projects
- Press release: Orbital Submits Proposal for NASA's Commercial Crew Development Program [Orbital Sciences Corporation, 2010]
- Updates on the Cygnus spacecraft development [Orbital, 2010]
- Cygnus spacecraft factsheet (PDF) [Orbital 2010]
- Updates on the Taurus II launch vehicle development [Orbital 2010]
- Taurus II launch vehicle fact sheet [Orbital 2010]
Boeing CST-100 Project
- Boeing press release [Farnborough, July 2010]
SpaceDev DreamChaser Project
Blue Origin New Shepard Project
Space Act Agreements
- Space Act Agreements between NASA and Rocketplane Kister and SpaceX (PDF, 5MB)  Includes an overview of the technical solution of each of the teams.
NASA Constellation Program
The Constellation program is supposed to be canceled based on the President's FY 2011 budget proposal for NASA. The Orion project is supposed to be transferred to the new exploration enterprise with a modified goal to develop an Orion-derived ISS lifeboat and Earth entry vehicle. Launch vehicle development efforts are supposed to be transferred to the new NASA heavy lift program.
- NASA Lunar Lander RFI 
NASA Space Shuttle Program
- The Space Shuttle Decision, NASA-SP-4221 [NASA, 1999] Historical description of the design process for the space shuttle
- The Space Shuttle At Work, NASA-SP-432 [NASA, 1979] Description of anticipated space shuttle capabilities and mission scenarios prior to the first shuttle mission; interesting for comparing the expections for the shuttle program with what it has actually achieved.
Space Shuttle Accident Investigation Reports
- Report of the Presidential Commission on the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident (Rogers Commission) 
International Space Station (ISS)
European Space Agency (ESA) Programs
Spacelab (no longer in service)
- MSFC Spacelab Overview 
The Columbus laboratory is one of the ESA contributions to the International Space Station Program.
- Columbus fact sheet (PDF) [ESA, 2007]
- Columbus Control Center overview (PDF) [DLR, 2007]
Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV)
The ATV resupply vessel is one of the ESA contributions to the International Space Station Program.
- ATV design fact sheet (PDF)  Provides detailed information on geometrical and mass properties
- ATV brochure (PDF)  Provides images and description; also shows ATV evolution concept with reentry capsule for up- and down-mass logistics
- ATV evolution options Description of the various configurations that the ATV could be evolved into
- Executive summary of EADS ATV evolution study (PDF) [March 2005]
Mars 500 Program
- ESA Mars 500 program website [ESA, November 2009]
- ESA Mars 500 Program Information Kit (PDF) [ESA, July 2009] Overview of the Mars 500 Program and the associated facilities
- ESA website for the 1st mission of the Mars 500 program (105-day mission) [ESA, November 2009]
- Call for Candidates for the 2nd mission of the Mars 500 program (520-day duration, simulating an opposition-class mission [ESA, 2009]
Japanese Space Exploration Agency (JAXA) Programs
Past Human Spaceflight Programs
- Space Medicine In Project Mercury, NASA SP-4003 [March 1965]
- Project Gemini Technology and Operations - A Chronology, NASA SP-4002 [September, 1968]
A large body of literature exists for the Apollo program, in the technical, operational, program management and historical domains. The list below is a reference selection of sources relevant for systems architecture and design purposes; it is by no means intended to be comprehensive.
Please note: human spaceflight activities in the Skylab and ASTP programs (which were based on Apollo systems) are described in detail in separate sections below.
General Apollo References
- Apollo expeditions to the Moon, NASA-SP-350 [NASA, 1975]
- Chariots for Apollo, NASA SP-4205  General historical overview of the Apollo program
- Project Apollo The Tough Decisions, NASA SP-2005-4537 (PDF) [Seamans, 2005] Report reviews the major Mercury and then Gemini precursors for the Apollo mission program and its development and mission sequence.
- Apollo Lunar Surface Journal  Focus on lunar landing missions and surface operations
- Apollo Flight Journal  Companion to the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal
Apollo Launch Vehicles and Facilities
- Saturn V News Reference 
- The Apollo Spacecraft A Chronology, NASA SP-4009 [1962-1974]
- Apollo Spacecraft Technical Diagrams  Selected Apollo CSM, LM, SLA, and LES drawings.
- Apollo Operations Handbook - Block II Spacecraft - Volume 1: Spacecraft Description [NASA Oct. 1969]
Apollo Accident Investigation Reports
- Apollo 204 Review Board Final Report (Thompson Commission)  Report of the investigation board for the Apollo 1 accident.
- Apollo 13 Review Board (Cortright Commission)  Documents associated with the Apollo 13 accident investigation.
Apollo Mission Descriptions
Detailed descriptions of the individual Apollo missions (crewed and uncrewed) can be found here.
- Skylab Overview (NASA-KSC) 
- ASTP press kit (NASA)(PDF) 
Soviet / Russian Space Stations
- Soviet space stations as analogs, second edition [Bluth BJ, Helppie M, August 1986]